Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Join Me in my Journey of Humiliation!

I have decided that the focus of this blog will be to document my ongoing rejection/humiliation as I swim through the murky waters of online dating. Please feel free to laugh with me. If you laugh at me you're a jerk.

Some background: I ended a 10-year relationship (with seven of those years married) in December of 2007. Or, more accurately, my ex-wife ended the relationship. While there are several things about my ex that makes me angry, the one thing that really sticks in my craw is the fact that she took a balding middle-aged man (me) and thrust him into the world of being single. Something I was not at all prepared for. My dating knowledge was gleamed in the 1990s, and seeing as this is the 21st century, completely antiquated.

It took several months after the marriage ended before I was ready to even attempt dating again. By July of 2008 I was ready. Now, if you know me at all, you know that I'm a tad introverted. Okay, more than a tad. Extremely is a better word. As such it seemed to me that online dating would be the way to go.

I hit up some of the major pay sites. Eharmony is known for its exhaustive personality test. I took that test and was informed by Eharmony that I couldn't be matched to anyone. Seriously.

As I'm cheap, I hit Google to see about free dating sites, and I found OK Cupid. It has a good reputation, is always mentioned in top-10 dating lists and is well reviewed. I signed up and prepared myself for an end to being single!

In September of 2008 I received a notice that someone was interested in me. A user I shall call...Woman #1. We chatted via IM and sent many e-mails back and forth. We talked about meeting in real life (if you're hip to online lingo that would be RL). Things seemed to be going well and then...she stopped responding to messages and e-mails. This, I would discover, is a very common thing in the world of online dating. I guess people just lose interest and move on to the next available man/woman. I was disappointed at the time. And now? I'm used to it.

OK Cupid has continued to vex me. It seems that most of the people there aren't really interested in meeting anyone. Which is a theme that would become increasingly obvious.

Next time: more OK Cupid rejection! And how about Plenty of Fish? Hint: rejection.

2 comments:

  1. "If you have been rejected many times in your life, then one more rejection isn't going to make much difference. If you're rejected, don't automatically assume it's your fault. The other person may have several reasons for not doing what you are asking her to do: none of it may have anything to do with you. Perhaps the person is busy or not feeling well or genuinely not interested in spending time with you. Rejections are part of everyday life. Don't let them bother you. Keep reaching out to others. When you begin to receive positive responses then you are on the right track. It's all a matter of numbers. Count the positive responses and forget about the rejections."
    This quote has helped throughout the years!!!! yeap Is a Thom Yorke quote, and believe me I've been rejected many times, but Hey I always think is for the best!

    @JustVero

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point it really doesn't bother me. It can be amusing at times. I figure if I keep at it long enough, something positive will happen. Problem is I'm impatient!!

    ReplyDelete